A serious accident, illness or injury can strike anyone, unexpectedly. Does your family know how you want to be treated if you could no longer communicate? Will they be able to ensure your wishes are met?
Advance care planning is a thoughtful process to share and document your decisions for life-prolonging procedures and interventions when you are unable to speak and unlikely to recover. This valuable tool helps your family through this difficult time, giving them the information and peace they need to confidently carry out your wishes.
- Learning about the options available to you
- Reflecting on your values, cultural and spiritual beliefs, and treatment preferences and goals
- Discussing your wishes with loved ones and healthcare providers
- Choosing a decision-maker and documenting your wishes in a legal document called a living will
- Sharing copies of your plan with your healthcare surrogate, loved ones and providers